- Retention is the most important phase of orthodontic treatment Proper wearing of your retainers will ensure that the teeth remain stable.
- Return to your family dentist for an examination and cleaning Thoroughly brush and floss every day to protect that beautiful smile.
- Wear your retainers as instructed Wear your retainer every night while you sleep. This should be done forever. Failure to wear your retainers as instructed will cause your teeth to move. You should remove your retainers while brushing your teeth, eating and participating in sports.
- Keep your appointments Please bring your retainers with you to your appointments. We will see you one month after the braces are removed. Then we will send you a postcard for a six-month and a 12-month checkup.
- Retainer Adjustment Your retainers may become loose over time. Patients who had early orthodontic treatment may have erupting teeth, which will cause the retainers not to fit. Please call the office for an appointment.
- Take care of your retainers Clean them daily with toothpaste and a toothbrush. Don't wrap them in a napkin; they may be thrown away. Dogs and other pets love to chew on them. If you're not wearing or cleaning them, keep them in a protective retainer case. Do not put your retainers in hot boiling water; they will melt.
- If you lose or break a retainer, please call us immediately The teeth will move if retainers are not worn. There is an extra charge to replace lost or broken retainers, so please be careful.